Friday, August 8, 2014

Research Visit: Wright Patterson Air Force Base

 If you are researching the Wright Brothers, you are eventually going to end up in Dayton, Ohio. Thankfully for me, I was driving back from my recent visit to the archives in Washington, D.C.  My destination today was Wright Patterson Air Force Base.

Many years ago, when I joined the United States Army, my dream was to be a pilot.  That dream was dashed quite early when I was told that I was color blind.  I was defiant.  I could see colors just fine, but after failing the test several times, it was officially put in my record. My dream of flying, at least in the Army, were done.

So, it was pretty interesting when, earlier this year, I read a post on Facebook by Wright Patterson Air Force Base.  They were looking for test subjects who were color blind.  Since I was spending this spring break researching, I decided to become a test subject. I spent the better part of a day completing test after test that analyzed my vision.  It was fascinating!  I learned that I am indeed slightly color blind, but only in one eye.  I was such a unique test subject that they asked if I would be willing to complete even more extensive testing.  Of course, I was intrigued and said yes. 
By the end of the day, I had a full work up and had several doctors explain to me how unique my eyes were.  My brain was compensating when both eyes were used, but the problem was when I was only allowed to use one eye.  I asked if knowing what they know about my eyes now if I would have been flagged for flight school and sadly, they said I would have.  Not only was I color blind, but I was also losing my depth perception and needed a prescription for reading.  The whole experience was fantastic and I was honored at the end of the testing when the staff handed me this coin: 


They said that the things they learned from my eyes would help them analyze and understand some of the minute deficiencies that may or may not disqualify future aviators. 


On my way out, they took me into a huge simulator that they were developing with NASA.  It had a 360 degree video array that reacted with the cockpit that was located in the middle of the array.  I asked if I could take a 'ride,' but sadly, I was not allowed to.  Just sitting in the cockpit was pretty exciting for me though!  I have some pretty solid ties to Wright Patterson Air Force Base. 

As a child, I lived on the base when my father served in the Air Force.  I didn't recognize anything!  This model of one of the Wright Brothers airplanes was at the gate. 
 

It was life size and was incredibly detailed.  Despite the constant rain, I was able to make a few images that captured its beauty.


Curious if you are color blind?  Check this site out.  It's called EnChroma and they make sunglasses that 'correct' color blindness.  It actually works!  Plus their site has a fun color blind test you can take online.


No comments:

Post a Comment