Friday, August 8, 2014

Research Visit: Flying on the Wright B. Flyer


Sometimes you don't realize you are doing research.  Sometimes you just think you are doing something you've always dreamed about.

On August 26, 2000, I had the chance to fly on the Wright B. Flyer. My parents, as a birthday gift, had given me a membership to the Wright B. Flyer Historical Society. One of the benefits of this was an 'orientation flight' on the 'B.'  I wish the technology that exists today was there on that day so that I could have recorded my flight.  This video captures much of what I remember:  




 The tiny airport has a hangar museum dedicated to the Wright's.  It chronicled the process of building the Wright B. Flyer replica.

I love this image my wife captured.  I talk when I'm nervous.  I didn't stop talking for most of the flight.  The pilot told me when we landed that he hadn't had a passenger who knew more about the Wrights.  I think that was a compliment!



I couldn't have been more proud than I was that day.  As the pilot handed me my certificate, I felt a kinship with all the men and women who have taken to the skies.


I plan to fly again on the Wright B.  This time I'll have my Go Pro mounted to the wing!

No comments:

Post a Comment