Saturday, August 9, 2014

Research Visit: Chicago Fire Academy


On January 2, 2014, I went on a research visit to The Chicago Fire Academy.
  When I arrived, I was greeted by Fireman Anthony Downing.  He took me on a tour of the museum that is located in the Fire Academy. 



 It walked us through the development of the department from volunteer through the Great Chicago Fire and beyond.  I was there for some background on the events on and around the fire of 1871.  One of my favorite elements of the museum was a replica of a firehouse from around the 1880's.  It was complete with horse stable and living quarters above.  




 I could imagine this device being critical to getting crews into the right place amidst the crackle of a house fire. 




I learned that early on, most families had these buckets and would bring them to help fire fighters fill boiler.



A typical fighting force.  Steam boiler in the back with the 'crew' in the front in a separate wagon.



 The first African-American fire house in Chicago was created in 1872.





I had no idea when I called ahead to arrange my visit that I would have Anthony as my tour guide.  Anthony took me through the entire academy.  I viewed the equipment, facilities and classrooms.  It wasn't until we sat down at his desk and started talking about writing.  It turns out that Anthony is also a writer.  We talked about how he uses writing to help make sense of some of the very scary and sad things he sees in his work.  Very recently, Anthony lost one of his best friends in a fire.  


 In the Hall of Honor, sit the equipment of fallen fire fighters.  The most recent was Corey Ankum.  Anthony shared the story of the day he was lost.  Then, he pulled out his phone and shared with me the poignant and powerful words he wrote to make sense of the feelings and overwhelming emotions he was experiencing.  Anthony told me that he has been writing since he entered the academy; I was amazed that he did all of his writing on his phone.







The badge and plaque for firefighter Ankum.  








After spending the better portion of an afternoon with Anthony, I had even more respect for the men and women who put their lives on the line to fight fires.  Anthony and his co-workers were thrilled to hear that I was writing about the department.  They wished me luck and asked to be kept in the loop as my projects developed.  They connected me with the department historian and offered ongoing insight and support.  I hope sometime soon I'll be able to share a published project with them!





The bronze flame in front of the Chicago Fire Academy sits in the exact spot where the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 began.

No comments:

Post a Comment